The first version of fake grass was introduced in the 1960s by Chemstrand. This artificial turf was made from nylon, coated with polyurethane to give it a more realistic appearance. The product was initially used for commercial stadiums and arenas.
Nowadays, many different types of fake grass are available on the market. Some brands even offer different colours and textures to choose from. No matter your budget or needs, there is sure to be a fake grass product that is perfect for you.
To understand fake grass more, we have answered common questions about this product.
1. What is fake grass made of?
Fake grass is typically made from a synthetic material, such as polyethylene or nylon. The blades of fake grass are usually shorter and less dense than natural grass, giving it a more realistic appearance.
2. How long does fake grass last?
Fake grass can last up to 25 years with proper care, although its colour may eventually fade over time, especially if left unattended or uncleaned for a long period of time.
3. How is fake grass installed?
Fake grass can be installed by a professional installer or by a homeowner. The process typically involves laying down a base layer of material, such as crushed stone or sand and then installing the fake grass. However, there are areas that need to be prepared first before you can install fake grass; if this is the case, we recommend engaging with professional fake grass installers.
4. How much does fake grass cost?
Fake grass can vary in price depending on the quality and material used. Generally, it is more affordable than natural grass in the long run as it doesn’t need to be mowed, fertilised, or watered.
5. Are there any disadvantages to fake grass?
While fake grass has many benefits, there are a few disadvantages to consider. For example, it may not feel as pleasant to walk barefoot compared to real grass, especially if you use low-quality artificial grass. When choosing fake grass, it’s important to choose high-quality, Australian-made products.
6. What are the benefits of fake grass?
- Less time and energy spent on yard work
- Easy to clean. You can just hose it down and all the dirt and debris will get removed.
- Savings on lawn care and maintenance.
7. How do you maintain fake grass?
- You just need to brush regularly, vacuum and hose it down.
- Additionally, you may need to treat it with an artificial turf cleaner/sanitiser every now and then.
8. What is better, fake grass or natural grass?
There are pros and cons to both fake grass and natural grass. It depends on your personal preferences as to which one is better for you.
Some people prefer fake grass because it requires less maintenance than natural grass. You don’t have to mow it or water it, and it can still look green and healthy all year round. Fake grass is also more durable than natural grass; it can withstand wear and tear and heavy foot traffic.
However, some people prefer natural grass because it feels softer and more natural underfoot. It also has a pleasant smell that fake grass doesn’t have.
So, which one is better?
It depends on your preferences. Fake grass might be your best choice if you want a low-maintenance option that still looks good. But if you prefer the feel and smell of natural grass, then go for that instead.
If you have installed fake grass in your home, taking care of it for many years is essential.
Here are some tips on how to take care of your fake grass:
- Keep the area around your fake grass clean and debris-free. This will help prevent the grass from getting dirty and stained.
- If you have pets, ensure they do not urinate on the fake grass. Urine can cause the grass to yellow and stain.
- If your fake grass gets wet, dry it off as soon as possible. Wet fake grass can develop mould and mildew.
- If you notice any holes in your fake grass, repair them as soon as possible. Holes and tears can cause the grass to unravel and fray.
Following these tips can help keep your fake grass looking its best for many years.